Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has promised a United Nations special envoy that he will not force back people fleeing violence in neighboring Myanmar, where the military ousted a democratically elected government in February
TOKYO (AP) — An American lawyer on trial in Japan on charges related to reporting of former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn’s compensation asserted his innocence Wednesday, testifying he acted legally and in Nissan’s best interests.Greg Kelly, a former executive vice president at Nissan Motor Co., told the Tokyo District Court he was worried Ghosn might job-hop after taking a big pay cut in 2010, when Japan began requiring disclosures of high executive pay.“He became a retention risk,” Kelly said in response to questioning by his chief defense lawyer, Yoichi Kitamura.“We were fortunate to have a CEO as talented as Carlos Ghosn,” he said.Starting in 2010, Ghosn’s annual pay was cut by about half, or 1 billion yen ($10 million). Company officials had worried about potential public criticism since big executive paychecks are rare in Japan. After the pay cut, Ghosn was making considerably less than his counterparts at U.S. and European automakers.Ghosn and Kelly were arrested in late 2018. Ghosn was charged with underreporting his compensation and with breach of trust. But he fled to Lebanon while out on bail. Kelly is facing charges of conspiring with Ghosn to underreport his pay.A key focus of the trial is whether the unpaid money was ever decided upon. Ghosn, who led Nissan for two decades, says he is innocent and the money was not decided upon or paid.Testimony and documents presented during the trial show Kelly sought ways to compensate Ghosn through possible post-retirement consultancy fees and a deal paying him to leave for a rival company, known as a “non-compete” agreement.Prosecutors says they’re confident about their cases against both Ghosn and Kelly.During Wednesday’s hearing, Kelly said that before the trial began he had never seen detailed calculations of Ghosn’s potential pay, which were handled by another Nissan executive who reported directly to Ghosn.Kelly worked as a labor and environmental lawyer in the U.S. before joining Nissan in 1988. He testified that his exchanges with the executive, Toshiaki Ohnuma, tended to be short and superficial because Ohnuma’s English was limited and Kelly doesn’t speak much Japanese.Story continuesOhnuma took a plea bargain and testified last year for the prosecution, outlining how he worked on Ghosn’s “unpaid compensation.”If convicted, Kelly faces up to 15 in prison. The conviction rate in Japan is higher than 99%. A verdict isn’t expected for months.Yokohama-based Nissan has sunk into losses since the Ghosn scandal surfaced, and the pandemic has added to those woes. Its new chief executive, Makoto Uchida, has promised a comeback.___Yuri Kageyama is on Twitter https://twitter.com/yurikageyama
Liverpool and Egypt footballer Mohamed Salah calls on world leaders to ‘make sure the violence and killing of innocent people stops immediately’.Liverpool footballer Mohamed Salah has called on world leaders to “do everything in their power” to end the killing of innocent people, in what appeared to be a reference to rising tension in Palestine where at least 28 people, including children, have been killed by Israeli attacks.
Salah’s appeal came as the Israeli military continued its bombardment of the besieged Gaza Strip on Tuesday, targeting several areas after rockets were fired from the enclave.
Hamas’s armed wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, targeted Tel Aviv with 130 rockets after Israeli air strikes caused the collapse of a residential building in Gaza City.
In a tweet on Tuesday, Salah specifically called on Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson “to make sure the violence and killing of innocent people stops immediately”.
I’m calling on all the world leaders including on the Prime Minister of the country that has been my home for the past 4 years to do everything in their power to make sure the violence and killing of innocent people stops immediately. Enough is enough. @BorisJohnson
— Mohamed Salah (@MoSalah) May 11, 2021
“I’m calling on all the world leaders including on the Prime Minister of the country that has been my home for the past 4 years to do everything in their power to make sure the violence and killing of innocent people stops immediately,” Salah said on Twitter.
“Enough is enough.”
The 28-year-old Egyptian football star has more than 14.3 million followers on Twitter and his tweet was shared thousands of times within minutes.
He published the tweet shortly after posting a picture of himself at the Dome of the Rock in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied East Jerusalem.
The Palestinian health ministry in Gaza said the number of victims from overnight Israeli strikes on Gaza reached 28, including 10 children and one woman. Another 152 people were also injured.
Russian President Vladimir Putin leaves Red Square after the Victory Day military parade in Moscow. (AFP image)MOSCOW: Russian President Vladimir Putin marked the anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe with a speech warning that Nazi beliefs remain strong. Speaking to the annual military parade on Moscow’s Red Square, Putin on Sunday decried “attempts to rewrite history, to justify traitors and criminals, on whose hands lies the blood of hundreds of thousands of peaceful people”. “Unfortunately, many of the ideologies of the Nazis, those who were obsessed with the delusional theory of their exclusiveness, are again trying to be put into service,” he said, without citing specifics. The parade, whose format varies little from year to year, included more than 190 military vehicles traversing the square, ranging from the renowned WWII-era T-34 tank to the hulking eight-axle Yars mobile ICBM launchers. The anniversary of Nazi Germany’s defeat, which Russia calls Victory Day, is the country’s most significant secular holiday. commemorating the Red Army’s military feats and the vast suffering of civilians. About 27 million Soviet soldiers and civilians are estimated to have died in the war. FacebookTwitterLinkedinEMail
Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger’s, is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), but differs from other ASDs by relatively unimpaired language and intelligence. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and unusual use of language are common. Signs usually begin before two years of age and in many cases never resolve.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has hit out at Tokyo once again as Japan refuses to respond to international criticism over its plans to dump supposedly treated nuclear wastewater from the Fukushima plant into the sea.
Speaking on Friday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin reiterated China’s position that the discharge of nuclear wastewater into the sea is a matter concerning all countries and not just Japan. Wang stated that the international community has generally expressed strong concerns about the possible impact of Japan’s actions but the country’s government is yet to make any comment and ignores its international responsibilities.We advise Japan not to learn from ostriches, thinking that everything will be fine if you bury your head in the sand.“We once again urge the Japanese government to face up to the serious concerns of the international community and stop the mistakes that endanger the global marine environment and international public health,” he stated.
Also on rt.com
IAEA invites Chinese experts to join the technical working group on Japan’s nuclear wastewater disposal, Beijing says
China has been very vocal in its opposition to Japan’s plan to dump the nuclear wastewater into the ocean amid fears the water is still contaminated despite years of treatment. Beijing has pushed for international action, noting, “it is definitely not Japan’s housework. If the nuclear sewage is not polluted, why doesn’t Japan keep it for itself?” Japan plans to release it allegedly treated wastewater into the sea in around two years, but the safety of the water has been questioned since day one. Last year, Greenpeace reported that the wastewater from the plant was more dangerous than the Japanese government had suggested. The organization claims the supposedly treated water still contains “dangerous levels of carbon-14,” a radioactive substance that has the “potential to damage human DNA.” The water is also known to contain radioactive tritium, which is supposedly harmless.If you like this story, share it with a friend!
WHO director-general wants the G7 countries to dig deep to help find solutions.Geneva: The WHO chief on Friday implored the G7 to prioritise equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines around the globe, branding the current imbalance morally inadmissible.World Health Organization director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the uneven distribution of vaccines among rich and poor nations would not help to end the coronavirus pandemic.”For the G7 now, the most important and the immediate support we need is vaccines, and vaccine equity,” he told a press conference.Nearly 1.25 billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been injected in at least 210 territories around the world, according to an AFP count.Some 45 percent of the doses have been administered in high-income countries accounting for 16 percent of the global population.Just 0.3 percent have been administered in the 29 lowest-income countries, home to nine percent of the world’s population.”This kind of divide is unacceptable,” Tedros said.”Not because of just a moral issue, but it’s unacceptable because we will not defeat the virus in a divided world.”The Group of Seven industrial powers are holding a summit on June 11-13 in Cornwall, southwest England, hosted by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.The WHO says the G7 has the ability to fund the vaccines, tests and treatments needed to conquer the pandemic — and knock down the barriers blocking faster production.”It’s in every country’s interest in this world to share vaccines, and to help in any way possible,” said Tedros.The WHO’s Access to Covid-19 Tools Accelerator programme for finding, developing and distributing coronavirus jabs, tests and therapeutics, is $19 billion short of its $22-billion target this year.And a further $35 to $45 billion will be needed next year to ensure most adults around the world are immunised.Tedros wants the G7 countries — Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States — to dig deep to help find solutions.’Massive force of infection’Around the world, the number of new Covid-19 has increased for the ninth straight week, and deaths have increased for the sixth straight week.More cases have been reported in the past two weeks than during the first six months of the pandemic, as the pandemic rages in India.”We’re deeply concerned that many more countries will continue to be affected. We will see serious situations like what we see now in India, Brazil, Nepal and other countries,” said Tedros.WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan said he was troubled by the surge in virus transmission, as witnessed in India.”My concern right now is that this virus has huge kinetic energy in some countries. It’s got a massive force of infection,” he said.”It is being driven by human behaviour, by the emergence of variants, and many other factors.”We’re expecting the virus to slow down and we’re pushing the accelerators! We have got to stop.”He said the huge spikes in infection were being pushed by proximity and mixing of people without protection, in poorly-ventilated spaces.”I know how hard that is in the context of some countries but that is the brutal reality,” said Ryan.”We’ve seen the tragedy in India; we need to avoid that same tragedy occurring in other countries — and some other countries are heading in that direction.”(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
The EU has suspended its efforts to ratify a huge investment deal with China due to a row and a sanctions battle over Beijing’s alleged human rights violations, the deputy chief of the bloc’s executive branch has told AFP.
“We have for the moment […] suspended some political awareness efforts on the side of the Commission,” vice president of the EU Commission, Valdis Dombrovskis, said in an interview with the outlet on Tuesday.Dombrovskis said the situation created by the EU and China’s tit-for-tat sanctions is “not conducive to the ratification” of the Comprehensive Agreement on Investment (CAI).After six years of negotiations, the EU and Beijing agreed the CAI in principle at the end of last year, but it still required the ratification of the European Parliament.
Also on rt.com
The US’ fury over the China-Europe investment deal shows how rattled & isolated they are. It’s clear who’s been 2020’s big winner
The deal would have seen increased legal certainty and greater market access in China for companies from the EU’s 27 member states.The pause in the journey towards ratification follows months of uncertainty for the agreement, after the EU criticized China over its alleged human rights violations against Uighur Muslims.In March, Brussels hit Beijing with its first sanctions against China in 30 years, over claims that members of the ethnic minority were being kept in concentration camps and subjected to forced labor in China’s northwest Xinjiang region.The Chinese government has consistently denied the claims, and immediately responded to the sanctions with its own, imposed against four EU entities and 10 individuals – including members of the European Parliament.Like this story? Share it with a friend!
Fuck off, China. Signed:The Mongolians, Tibetans, Uyghur people, Born and raised Hong Kong, most Canton speakers of china, Vietnamese, Indians, .. i just realized the list is waaaay too long of people whose personal civil liberties and territory are being taken away.Maybe fuck off China -World
The Chinese foreign ministry has issued a stern rebuke after Philippines’ foreign minister ordered Beijing’s vessels to “get the f**k out” of Manila’s waters. Beijing says Huangyan Island is Chinese territory.
Speaking on Tuesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said that the Huangyan Island (known in Philippines as Panatag Shoal) and the nearby sea were under China’s jurisdiction and urged Manila to respect Beijing’s sovereignty over the unpopulated landmass. Wang stated that microphone diplomacy cannot change the facts that this island belongs to China, after Philippines’ Secretary of Foreign Affairs Teodoro Locsin told Beijing, in a tweet, to “get the f**k out” of what Manila considers to be its territory.China’s spokesman said it is hoped that the relevant people, a probable reference to Locsin, “will comply with the basic etiquette and identity when making their remarks,” when asked by a journalist about the “dirty” language used by Manila.Wang said that Beijing also hopes that such differences and contradictions between the two countries on individual issues will not impact friendship and cooperation. “China has always and will continue to work with the Philippines to properly resolve differences and promote cooperation through friendly consultations and continue to provide assistance to the Philippines within its capacity in fighting the epidemic and restoring the economy,” the spokesman noted.
Also on rt.com
‘GET THE F**K OUT’: Philippines foreign secretary issues not-so-diplomatic request to China amid maritime dispute
Wang’s comment came after Locsin’s fiery remarks on Twitter on Monday. “China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see… O…GET THE F**K OUT. What are you doing to our friendship? You. Not us. We’re trying. You. You’re like an ugly oaf forcing your attentions on a handsome guy who wants to be a friend; not to father a Chinese province,” the foreign secretary tweeted.Locsin’s tweet came after a statement by his country’s foreign affairs department, which protested the “illegal presence” of Chinese ships in parts of the South China Sea, called the Luzon Sea in the Philippines and recognized by the Hague court as belonging to Manila. Huangyan Island, also known as the Scarborough Shoal, sits about 230 kilometers from the Philippines and 650 kilometers from the nearest part of China. Recently, Manila informed Beijing of its discontent after 220 Chinese vessels moored in the Julian Felipe Reef, also known as the Whitsun Reef, citing bad weather, but did not leave when requested. Manila says the reef falls within its 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ).Islands and reefs within the South China Sea are hotly contested between China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan and Brunei.Like this story? Share it with a friend!