Categories
Genel

Kashmir doctors prohibited from speaking to media as COVID rages From “World News”



submitted by /u/bleedinglips [comments]







Read All

Categories
Genel

China rocket debris 'disintegrates over Indian Ocean' – Chinese media From “BBC News – World”



Much of the rocket was destroyed as it fell, but some debris landed west of the Maldives, China says.







Read All

Categories
Genel

Chinese rocket debris crashes back to Earth, plunging into Indian Ocean – state media | Space From “World news | The Guardian”



The remnants of China’s largest rocket have plummeted back to Earth, plunging into the Indian ocean near the Maldives, according to Chinese state media.Most of the debris burned up in the atmosphere, it reported, citing the Chinese Manned Space Engineering office.Space watchers around the world have been anticipating the arrival of the Long March 5B space rocket since it started to lose altitude last week amid concerns it was out of control. It is one of the largest pieces of space debris to return to Earth and prompted the White House to call for “responsible space behaviours”.China’s foreign ministry had said on Friday that most debris from the 30-metre long rocket would burn on re-entry and that it was highly unlikely to cause any harm, after the US military said that what it called an uncontrolled re-entry was being tracked by US Space Command.EU Space Surveillance and Tracking (EU SST) said on its website that the statistical probability of a ground impact in a populated area was “low”, but noted that the uncontrolled nature of the object made any predictions uncertain.The Long March 5B – comprising one core stage and four boosters – lifted off from China’s Hainan island on 29 April with the unmanned Tianhe module, which contains what will become living quarters on a permanent Chinese space station. The rocket is set to be followed by 10 more missions to complete the station.The empty core stage has been losing altitude since last week, and experts estimated its dry mass to be around 18 to 22 tonnes.Long March 5 rockets have been integral to China’s near-term space ambitions – from the delivery of modules and crew of its planned space station to launches of exploratory probes to the moon and even Mars.The Long March launched last week was the second deployment of the 5B variant since its maiden flight in May last year.In May 2020, pieces from the first Long March 5B fell on Ivory Coast, damaging several buildings. No injuries were reported.Debris from Chinese rocket launches is not uncommon within China. In late April, authorities in the city of Shiyan, Hubei Province, issued a notice to people in the surrounding county to prepare for evacuation as parts were expected to land in the area.“The Long March 5B reentry is unusual because during launch, the first stage of the rocket reached orbital velocity instead of falling down range as is common practice,” the Aerospace Corporation said in a blog post.The core stage of the first Long March 5B that returned to Earth last year weighed nearly 20 tonnes, surpassed by debris from the Columbia space shuttle in 2003, the Soviet Union’s Salyut 7 space station in 1991, and Nasa’s Skylab in 1979.







Read All

Categories
Genel

Fire breaks out at Iran chemical factory hours after media reports of massive blaze near Bushehr’s nuclear power plant (VIDEOS) — RT World News From “RT World News”



A large fire has erupted at a chemical plant in the Iranian city of Qazvin, with local media reporting an explosion. The incident follows an overnight blaze in the port city of Bushehr, home to Iran’s only nuclear power plant.

The fire broke out at the plant on Saturday afternoon following a small explosion at the site. Footage circulating online shows flames emerging from the facility, with a large column of billowing black smoke.Multiple fire engines were deployed to the location to tackle the blaze. While the explosion and the fire that followed did not inflict any casualties, at least two firefighters were injured while battling the flames, local media reported.The fire comes hours after a major blaze broke out near the port in the southwestern coastal city of Bushehr. The city houses Iran’s only nuclear power plant.Watch: A massive fire engulfed in Bushehr city, Bushehr Province, #Iran. The cause of the fire still remains unknown. The Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant is also located in this city. Coordinates28°49′46.64″N 50°53′09.46″E pic.twitter.com/lBi2UmtINM— Rich Kids of Tehran (@RKOTOfficial) May 7, 2021Footage circulating online shows a wall of fire raging near the port, in the immediate vicinity of a road and buildings. The fire broke out at a swampy area located on the premises of a local naval base, Iranian media reports suggested.The Bushehr port fire did not inflict any casualties or damage any property, according to local emergency services.

Also on rt.com
‘DRONE ATTACK’ leaves Iranian tanker ablaze off Syrian coast – reports

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!







Read All

Categories
Genel

Civilians flee as Philippines soldiers dislodge 200 (hungry?) Islamist militants who seized town market – media — RT World News From “RT World News”



Residents were evacuated from a Philippines town after around 200 Islamist fighters captured a local market, reportedly in order to score a meal. Gunshots were heard as the military tried to flush the militants from the area.

Members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) seized the public market of Datu Paglas, located on the southern Philippines island of Mindanao, on Saturday morning, prompting the deployment of military and police units to the area. The group opposes a peace agreement between Muslim rebels, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), and the central government. Some members of BIFF have also reportedly pledged allegiance to Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS).Hundreds of residents fled the town, but some civilians were prevented from leaving by the militants, who used a truck to block a highway leading to the market, according to local media.Photographs and videos posted on Twitter show villagers making a hasty exit using motorbikes, vans, and animal-drawn carts.Hundreds of villagers have fled early Saturday morning to safer grounds as Army and BIFF terrorists clash at the town proper of Datu Paglas in Maguindanao (Photos by Amiel C. Cagayan) | via @keithbacongcopic.twitter.com/VBGhfaJVTx— Manila Bulletin News (@manilabulletin) May 8, 2021Kita ang mga residente sa Datu Paglas, Maguindanao na tumatakbo palayo sa isang palengke ngayong Sabado ng umaga matapos ang ulat na nakaengkuwentro doon ng militar ang nasa 100 na miyembro ng Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF). (Video courtesy: Norhaina Omal Pangilayan) pic.twitter.com/qqUkvUGkyt— ABS-CBN News (@ABSCBNNews) May 8, 2021According to several reports, BIFF fighters reportedly opened fire as the military cordoned off the market. Purported footage of the skirmish shows soldiers taking cover near an armored vehicle as bursts of gunfire can be heard. 🇵🇭 #BREAKING: More or less than 100 BIFF terrorists have reportedly occupied the town center of Datu Paglas, Maguindanao, the #Philippines Saturday. Residents from the area already evacuated. Firefight between the gov’t forces and the terrorists are still ongoing. 🎬 Ronda FM pic.twitter.com/yGczSmeldg— CCTV Asia Pacific (@CCTVAsiaPacific) May 8, 2021Other accounts, citing military officials, said the militants fired warning shots at civilians, and that the military returned fire. The firefight reportedly did not result in any injuries. It’s still unclear why the militants raided the market. A military spokesman said it appears that BIFF members wanted to get food from the market, but their presence frightened residents who reported them to authorities. The militants then seized the market after fearing retaliation. According to local media, the fighters eventually left the market, but operations were ongoing. Troops reportedly recovered several improvised explosive devices near the highway that had been blocked.  Like this story? Share it with a friend!







Read All

Categories
Genel

Trump social media: Twitter suspends account sharing ex-president's posts From “BBC News – World”



The social media platform said the account was trying to evade Mr Trump’s Twitter ban







Read All

Categories
Genel

Former Maldives president hurt in blast outside home: Media report From “World News Headlines, Latest International News, World Breaking News – Times of India”



Mohamed Nasheed (File photo)MALE: Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed was injured in a blast outside his home on Thursday, local media reported. Images from state TV channel PSM showed security services securing the scene of the incident in the capital Male. A foreign tourist was also injured, the channel reported. A spokesman for Nasheed’s Maldivian Democratic Party did not immediately respond to a request for comment. FacebookTwitterLinkedinEMail







Read All

Categories
Genel

On social media, memories pop up from a pandemic still going From “Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines”



COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — When the pandemic passed the one-year mark, Lisa Phillips wasn’t exactly eager to walk down memory lane. She had developed symptoms and quarantined with a suspected case of COVID-19 last spring, lost her mother to the disease in July and been hospitalized in November from what she describes as a nervous breakdown fueled by grief and isolation.But Phillips also wasn’t ready to delete the apps that provide those reminders that showed her each day what she’d shared on social media just a year earlier. That pain, she says, shouldn’t be forgotten. So she still wanted to save the memories — but for later.As we navigate these weeks that are unspooling a year after March, April and May 2020, memories from earlier in the COVID-19 crisis are popping up in people’s social media feeds when throwbacks, reposts and commemorations crack open the digital time capsule of the pandemic before it’s even over.Out spill the first reminders of a zillion virus-inflected anniversaries, ranging from the relatively trivial to the tragic: the empty toilet paper shelves, the new masks, the start of remote work or school, the gratitude to exhausted health care staff, the In Memoriams.For Phillips, 42, of Phoenix, the trauma still feels fresh. “If you’re not ready to relive the anniversary and beginning of this ongoing pandemic, you’re not alone,” she tweeted.Social media’s insistence on serving our own experiences back up to us — even if desired — can complicate the coping. But experts say it also provides opportunities to realize connection — and to frame how we move forward.“In certain ways — not all ways — we have more in common with more people on the planet than we probably have in any other year,” says Jamil Zaki, a Stanford University psychologist who researches empathy.People’s circumstances vary widely, and the pandemic has exposed lots of inequities, disproportionately impacting communities of color. “But at some level,” Zaki says, “many of us are dealing with a very similar type of anxiety, uncertainty, mourning and loss.”Story continuesZillah Wesley, an organizer with the anti-poverty Poor People’s Campaign in Washington, D.C., says she has known more than 40 people who have died during the pandemic, including several relatives and friends’ relatives. Many of them died in the early months, she says, and nearly all of them were fellow members of the Black community.Now posts about them are showing up again on her smartphone, she says, bringing a sinking feeling of loss.“I sit with it and just let it flow through me so it won’t pop up in other ways,” she says. “It’s like you can click off the thing and still go about your day, but the person is still gone.”The pandemic has been a collective trauma, and sharing personal emotional experience can help people feel supported and find meaning in that, says Sara Levens, a University of North Carolina at Charlotte psychology professor whose lab studies emotion.Some people may find it helpful to look back on their own or others’ experiences and reflect on what they’ve learned, what’s been lost and gained, or where they’ve seen resilience or joy in the midst of greater hardship. To navigate that content in a healthy way, experts recommend that people pay attention to what kind of social media posts and stories they’re viewing — how the content makes them feel and whether they’re actually getting something useful from it.“Just like you would be mindful of doom-scrolling, I think we need to be mindful of pandemic-scrolling,” says Elana Newman, a University of Tulsa psychologist and trauma researcher.If the posts you’re reading start to feel more overwhelming and less like you’re plugging into shared experience, it’s probably a good idea to disengage and distract yourself with an activity that helps replenish you, Levens says.Disabling social media notifications and muting or unfollowing accounts that negatively impact your mental health can help. Some users are even more proactive, intentionally limiting how they use digital tools that resurface their own memories.Brian Acunis, a soon-to-be graduate student who has lived part of the past year in New York, says he deleted the reminiscing app Timehop from his phone just a few months into the pandemic. He gave up a three-year streak with it because he didn’t want to keep seeing memories of all the activities and friends he was missing.“It just was too sad of a reminder,” says Acunis, 28.That tension isn’t lost on the folks behind the app. In March, on the anniversary of the pandemic declaration, Timehop tweeted a reminder that users can hide unwanted memories, noting they sometimes “need to be put away.”There’s no surge in use of that option so far. But if things change in the coming months, Timehop might consider altering how people hide memories or encouraging breaks if that would benefit users, CEO Matt Raoul says.“We try to balance that mantra of ‘we do not want to curate your memories and we want to show you everything’ with giving people the tools to control it in a way that’s best for them,” Raoul says.Phillips, a vice president at a cloud computing services company, now skips Timehop and social media altogether on days when her grief feels especially sharp or she doesn’t have mental or emotional space for what they might serve up. She says she also seeks help from others through professional care, therapy and talking with family and friends.She still considers it valuable to document moments and milestones on social media so she can look back at the difference over time. “There’s a part of me,” she says, “that doesn’t want to lose the sort of archival element.”Zaki, too, thinks the pandemic is worth remembering — not only because of what it caused, but because of what it revealed about the loneliness, depression and anxiety that people increasingly felt even before it descended.“I really hope we don’t forget this time and don’t just snap back into whatever normal was before, because normal before was not that normal. … We were fracturing as a culture. Trust was diminishing,” Zaki says. “And I think that in a lot of ways the pandemic, like other disasters, exposes some deep truths about who we are, what we need and who we can be.”







Read All

Categories
Genel

Singapore Press Holdings to transfer media business into not-for-profit entity From “International: Top News And Analysis”



Logo of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH).Roslan Rahman | AFP | Getty ImagesSINGAPORE — Singapore Press Holdings, a newspaper publisher and real estate company, said Thursday it will transfer its troubled media business into a not-for-profit entity.The company’s media business — which includes English broadsheets The Straits Times and The Business Times, as well as Chinese newspaper Lianhe Zaobao — have struggled with falling advertising revenues in recent years.The troubles at SPH caused its market capitalization to shrink, and the company’s shares on the Singapore Exchange were dropped from the benchmark Straits Times Index last year. The STI is made up of the 30 listed companies with the largest market capitalization.Trading of SPH shares were halted on Thursday, pending the announcement. As of Wednesday’s close, the company’s shares have risen roughly 58% this year.In a statement, SPH said all media-related assets will be transferred into a new wholly-owned subsidiary named SPH Media Holdings, with an initial funding that includes a cash injection of 80 million Singapore dollars ($59.81 million) and 30 million Singapore dollars worth of SPH shares.The new subsidiary will eventually be transferred to a not-for-profit entity for “a nominal sum,” said the company.SPH cited The Guardian in the U.K. and the Tampa Bay Times in the U.S. as examples of media businesses that employ the not-for-profit model.In addition to media, SPH is also in the property business. It owns 66% of a real estate investment trust called SPH REIT, with properties in Singapore and Australia making up its portfolio.







Read All

Categories
Genel

Social Media Platforms Should Not Amplify Untrustworthy Content: White House From “NDTV News – World-news”



Major platforms must not amplify disinformation, misinformation, the White House said (Representational)Washington: U.S. President Joe Biden believes social media platforms have a responsibility to “stop amplifying untrustworthy content,” the White House said on Wednesday, even as it declined to comment directly on a decision by Facebook Inc’s oversight board to keep a suspension in place for former President Donald Trump.”The president’s view is that the major platforms have a responsibility related to the health and safety of all Americans to stop amplifying untrustworthy content, disinformation and misinformation, especially related to COVID-19, vaccinations and elections,” White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)







Read All