I’ve been playing The Binding of Isaac for the last 6 hours or so while watching Israeli TV. Here’s what I understand of the situation: All major cities that have been known to mark friendship between Muslims and Jews are on fire tonight; Lod, Ramla, Acre and even Haifa. Police are going in almost clueless, even the army is getting involved. This is a first time so many Arab teenagers have been rioting in such a way, randomly throwing rocks at people and Molotov Cocktails at buildings. Almost everything burns.Arab politicians and Mayors have been calling citizens to calm down. Some Jews started to riot against the Muslims on the streets, and it looks like an actual civil war. The government closed Lod and hope to deal with the situation until morning. Some believe that the connection between Muslims and Jews that was built in those towns for 70 years, cannot be mended after tonight. Israeli politicians mumble the usual words and hope for a ceasefire. Hamas has no intentions to stop, shows those videos in Muslim channels and call for more riots. The teenagers get motivated through social networks, mainly Tik-Tok.Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. This looks like an actual war, that’s going to end with many more deaths than the 2014 one.
I’m surprised this comes from a “private” group, rather than a state actor – even assuming the perpetrators may or may not have links to the Russian government.At any rate, welcome to the age of cyber warfare. Why reduce the infrastructure of rival countries to rubble with nukes when you can just switch if off from inside your cozy home office?
The couple said that they plan on remaining co-chairs and trustees of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.Melinda French Gates began working with divorce lawyers well over a year before her split with Bill Gates was announced last week, partly over concerns about her husband’s dealings with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, according to the Wall Street Journal.The 56-year-old spoke with attorneys from several firms as early as October 2019, saying the marriage was “irretrievably broken,” the Journal reported Sunday, citing documents and people familiar with the matter. Her unease about her ex-husband’s ties to Epstein dates back to at least 2013, the paper said.The New York Times reported in October 2019 that the billionaire had met with Epstein several times, and once stayed late at his New York townhouse. A spokeswoman for Microsoft Corp. co-founder said at the time that the meetings had centered on philanthropy. Epstein had died in jail two months prior while awaiting trial on federal charges related to sex trafficking.The divorce was negotiated during the pandemic, involving legal teams working with a mediator to divide their fortune, which the Bloomberg Billionaires Index pegs at $145 billion.The couple said that they plan on remaining co-chairs and trustees of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Billionaire Warren Buffett serves as the foundation’s third trustee. All three have vowed to give away the vast majority of their wealth.In the days after the split was announced, a holding company that Bill Gates created transferred equity stakes in four different companies, worth more than $2 billion in aggregate, to Melinda French Gates, Bloomberg News has reported. The bulk of it is from about 14.1 million shares in Canadian National Railway Co.Days before he died in a New York jail, Epstein named a little-known biotech venture capitalist named Boris Nikolic as backup executor of his will. Nikolic had worked as a science adviser to Bill Gates and more recently funded more than a dozen firms in gene editing and other health technologies.In an emailed statement at the time, Nikolic told Bloomberg that Epstein had not consulted him about the will and that he had no intention to fulfill the duties.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
While there are, obviously, big structural forces at play in Labour’s defeat, some of the tactical decisions that Starmer’s team have taken have not helped either. First, they chose an MP defeated at the last election — and one who had tried to stop Brexit — as their candidate. This gave the Tories an opening to talk about that issue. Second, they decided to hold the by-election on the same days as the Tees Valley mayoral contest, allowing the relatively unknown Tory candidate to link herself to Ben Houchen, the hugely popular Tory mayor.
The problem for Starmer is that the building blocks of Labour’s traditional electoral coalition are moving ever further apart from each other. If Starmer moved further to try to win back support in seats such as Hartlepool, he would risk alienating Labour’s metropolitan base in cities such as London and Bristol — in those places, Labour is expected to win the mayoralties at a canter.
“Ideological discimination”. Let’s just get this out of the way. To discriminate literally means to discern the differences between things. That’s where the phrase “discriminating taste” comes from. If you hire a more intelligent candidate, you’ve just disciminated on the basis of intelligence. What this is not is unjust discrimination, which is what people get upset about, meting out different behavior on the basis of irrelevant differences.I can think of no version of discrimination more justified than ideological discrimination. You’re not born with your ideology. It’s not an immutable characteristic. If your ideology is bloodthirsty nationalism, I feel entirely justified in discriminating on that basis. That treatment is earned.
Allahabad High Court says deaths caused by non-supply of oxygen ‘no less than genocide’ as many hospitals run perilously low on the life-saving gas.A court in India’s northern Uttar Pradesh state has ruled that the deaths of COVID-19 patients caused by a lack of oxygen are “a criminal act and not less than a genocide”.
The second wave of the pandemic has had a devastating effect on India which has seen oxygen supplies run perilously low and crematoriums operating non-stop.
India’s government is facing growing pressure to impose a nationwide lockdown to stem the devastating coronavirus surge.
Here are the latest updates:
9 mins ago (04:49 GMT)
India posts record daily rise in coronavirus deaths
India’s coronavirus deaths rose by a record 3,780 during the last 24 hours, a day after the country became the world’s second after the United States to cross the grim milestone of 20 million infections.
Daily infections rose by 382,315 on Wednesday, health ministry data showed.
41 mins ago (04:17 GMT)
Australia PM stands firm on India flight halt
Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison is resisting mounting pressure to lift a temporary ban on flights from India, saying any early resumption of arrivals from that pandemic hot spot would erode Australia’s quarantine capability.
Morrison said the pause of flights that began last week will continue until May 15 as lawyers plan a legal challenge to the government’s ability to prevent around 9,000 citizens and permanent residents from returning home from India.
Critics of the travel pause include former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, human rights lawyer Geoffrey Robertson, several Australian lawmakers and leaders of the country’s Indian community.
43 mins ago (04:14 GMT)
Deaths due to oxygen shortages ‘no less than genocide’
The Allahabad High Court has said that “death of COVID patients just for non-supplying of oxygen to the hospitals is a criminal act and not less than a genocide by those responsible for ensuring the continuous procurement and supply of medical oxygen”.
The court directed the district magistrates of Lucknow and Meerut to verify reports of patients dying due to oxygen shortages within 48 hours.
“We find these news items showing a quite contrary picture to one claimed by the government that there was sufficient supply of oxygen,” the court order said.
43 mins ago (04:14 GMT)
Indians in UK respond to COVID-19 crisis back home
Indian nationals living in the United Kingdom have reacted to the worsening COVID-19 crisis in the subcontinent.
Overseas students in London say they are worried about their relatives in India, as British-Asian organisations rally round to raise funds for oxygen concentrators for areas where there is greatest need.
The world’s largest beer festival, Oktoberfest, held annually in Munich, has been canceled for a second year in a row because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Bavarian authorities have announced.
After not being held in 2020, the popular festival was expected to make a comeback this September. But beer lovers will have to wait another year, as the epidemiological situation in Germany, where 3.4 million have been infected and more than 83,000 have died due to Covid-19, is not yet under control. “Imagine if there was a new wave and it then became a super-spreader event. The brand would be damaged forever – and we don’t want that,” Bavarian State Premier Markus Soeder said, as he announced the cancelation of Oktoberfest 2021.Social distancing, masks, and other anti-coronavirus measures would have been “practically impossible to implement” at the event, which usually draws some six million attendees from right across the globe, Soeder pointed out.And Oktoberfest is all about bonding, not social distancing, with people gathering in vast marquees and sitting at long communal tables to swig beer, munch on sausages, and listen to live folk music.
Also on rt.com
Prost! Bavarian court overturns statewide open-air alcohol ban imposed under Covid-19 curbs
When the festival was last staged, in 2019, it swelled the coffers of the Bavarian economy by €1.23 billion ($1.5 billion). However, Oktoberfest boss Clemens Baumgärtner called the decision to cancel this year’s event “completely correct”. Maintaining its reputation as “a high-quality, safe festival” was more important, he insisted.It’s not the first time in Oktoberfest’s 200-year history that the organizers have been forced to cancel it due to an epidemic. A cholera outbreak put paid to plans in 1854 and 1873, while World War II saw it mothballed for several years.
Also on rt.com
200 Germans unsure if they got vaccinated or not after nurse confesses to SWAPPING vial of Pfizer jab with normal saline
An alternative Oktoberfest is expected to be staged in Dubai this year, but the Munich organizers have made it clear that they had nothing to do with that event. Last week, Baumgärtner blasted the holding of the breakaway festival as “absolutely absurd” and vowed to explore all legal options “to protect Munich’s Oktoberfest.”Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dubai’s budget carrier flydubai reported Sunday a loss of $194 million in 2020 as revenue fell by more than 50% in what it described as one of the toughest years in the aviation industry.The carrier’s financial losses reflect how the coronavirus pandemic has pummeled the aviation industry, resulting in the closure of airports, the suspension of flights and the loss of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of aviation jobs.Flydubai’s net loss of $194 million last year stands in contrast to its profit of $54 million the year before. Revenue slid to $773 million last year compared to $1.6 billion the year before.The number of flights operated last year by flydubai fell by more than 60%, resulting in a dramatic decrease in passenger numbers, which plummeted to 3.2 million in 2020 compared to 9.6 million in 2019.In addition to the impact of the pandemic, flydubai said its operations were affected by the nearly two-year-long grounding of its fleet of Boeing Max 737 aircraft. While being operated by other carriers, the aircraft was involved in two crashes that killed 346 people, forcing Boeing to settle dozens of lawsuits filed by families of passengers killed. The U.S.-made aircraft was grounded for 22 months pending regulatory approval.Flydubai has operations out of both of Dubai’s airports, including Dubai International Airport, which is the world’s busiest for international travel. The low-cost carrier also has code-share flights with Dubai’s flagship Emirates Airline, but the two airlines operate independently.
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday reported more than 200 deaths due to the Covid-19, the highest number of fatalities in a single day, according to the official data. The death toll jumped to 17,530 after 201 fatalities were reported in the last 24 hours, according to the Ministry of National Health Services. It said that 5,214 patients were in a critical condition. The data showed that 157 people died on April 23, which broke the record of 153 deaths reported on June 20 last year. However, a new record was created within a week, showing the ferocity of the pandemic. In the last 24 hours, at least 5,292 new cases were reported, taking the national tally to 810,231. The ministry reported that another 4,678 persons were reported as having recovered in the last 24 hours, taking the number of recuperated people to 704,494. The number of active patients was 88,207. The authorities performed 49,101 tests in the last one day, registering a positivity rate of 10.78 per cent. Information minister Fawad Chaudhry on Tuesday said that due to the increasing number of deaths and spike in the positive cases, Prime Minister Imran Khan might order a lockdown of the worst-hit cities. The issue of pandemic was discussed in the Cabinet and the Prime Minister “directed that food supplies should be improved if we go for a complete lockdown,” he said. The government has already postponed examination until mid-June to arrest the spread.
President of the EU Commission Ursula von der LeyenThierry Monasse | Getty Images News | Getty ImagesThe European Union confirmed Monday it’s taking legal action against AstraZeneca over shortfalls in the deliveries of its coronavirus vaccine.”Our priority is to ensure Covid-19 vaccine deliveries take place to protect the health of European Union,” the EU’s commissioner for health, Stella Kyriakides, said Monday via Twitter.”This is why the European Commission has decided jointly with all Member States to bring legal proceedings against AstraZeneca.””Every vaccine dose counts. Every vaccine dose saves lives,” she added.The EU and the pharmaceutical giant have been at odds several times this year. The Anglo-Swedish drug company said it could not deliver as many vaccines as the bloc was counting on, both during the first and second quarters. This has delayed the rollout of Covid-19 vaccines across the 27 EU nations.”Following an unprecedented year of scientific discovery, very complex negotiations, and manufacturing challenges, our company is about to deliver almost 50m doses to European countries by the end of April, in line with our forecast,” AstraZeneca said in a statement on Monday.”AstraZeneca has fully complied with the Advance Purchase Agreement with the European Commission and will strongly defend itself in court. We believe any litigation is without merit and we welcome this opportunity to resolve this dispute as soon as possible,” the firm also said.In March, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen had expressed disappointment with the company, saying that “AstraZeneca has unfortunately under-produced and under-delivered. And this painfully, of course, reduced the speed of the vaccination campaign.”At the time, von der Leyen said the bloc was expecting 70 million doses from the company in the second quarter, down from 180 million originally anticipated. The bloc was also expecting 120 million doses in the first three months of the year, but received only about 30 million.AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot had told EU lawmakers in February that low production at EU plants were causing the delays.