Categories
Genel

Anti-Inflammatory Drug Ibuprofen Does Not Worsen Covid Symptoms: Study From “NDTV News – World-news”



Concerns over the drugs emerged at the start of the Covid pandemic. (FILE)Paris: Taking anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen does not increase the risk of developing a severe form of Covid-19 or of dying from it, according to a new study, the largest so far on this class of medicines.At the start of the coronavirus pandemic there was concern over the potential effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which are used to treat everything from minor pain to chronic arthritis and cardiovascular disease.But observational research published Saturday in the medical journal Lancet Rheumatology, based on 72,000 hospitalised patients, found that the drugs “do not increase the mortality or severity” of Covid-19.The authors recommended that doctors should continue to prescribe NSAIDs as they have in the past.”When the pandemic began over a year ago, we needed to be sure that these common medications would not lead to worse outcomes in people with Covid-19,” lead author Ewen Harrison, a professor at the University of Edinburgh, said in a press release.”We now have clear evidence that NSAIDs are safe to use in patients with Covid-19, which should provide reassurance to both clinicians and patients that they can continue to be used in the same way as before the pandemic began.”The NSAID family of anti-inflammatory drugs includes those widely used by the general public like ibuprofen — an active substance in common drugs, such as Nurofen or Advil — or ketoprofen.Death rates the sameConcerns over the drugs emerged at the start of the Covid pandemic and centred on suspicions that they can worsen infections, especially bacterial.In March 2020, for example, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended that people suffering Covid-19 symptoms avoid self-medicating with ibuprofen, after French officials warned that anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen effects of the virus.The new research examined data on 72,000 Covid patients admitted to 255 health centres in England, Scotland and Wales between January and August 2020.Of these, 4,211 had taken NSAIDs before hospitalisation.The study found that the proportion of death was similar regardless of whether patients had taken the drugs or not — 30.4 percent for those who had and 31.3 percent for those who had not.It also found that those who took NSAIDs were “no more likely to be admitted to critical care, need invasive or non-invasive ventilation, or require oxygen”.There were some limitations to the research, however, including that in the UK ibuprofen is the most commonly used NSAID, so it is unclear whether the results could be as applicable to other countries where different NSAIDs are used.They also did not know how long patients had taken the drugs and whether they were taking them for a serious chronic condition or temporary symptoms.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)







Read All

Categories
Genel

25, Including Cop, Killed In Deadliest Brazil Drug Gun Battle In 16 Years From “NDTV News – World-news”



Policemen aim their weapons during an operation against drug dealers in Rio de Janeiro.Rio De Janeiro: At least 25 people were killed in a shootout between suspected drug traffickers and police in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday, one of the state’s deadliest police raids, police said.People targeted in the raid in the poor Jacarezinho neighborhood tried to escape across rooftops as police arrived in armored vehicles and helicopters flew overhead, television images showed. The firefight forced residents to shelter in their homes.The victims included one police officer, and the remainder were suspected members of the drug-trafficking gang that dominated life in the slum, including some of its leaders, police said.It was the deadliest single police operation in 16 years for Rio state which has suffered for decades from drug-related violence in its numerous favelas.The bloodbath prompted criticism from human rights groups including Amnesty International, who lambasted the police for the “reprehensible and unjustifiable” loss of life in a neighborhood mostly populated by Black and poor people.”The number of people killed in this police operation is reprehensible, as is the fact that, once again, this massacre took place in a favela,” said Jurema Werneck, executive director of Amnesty International Brazil, referring to the informally organized neighborhood with few public services.A 2005 raid in the Baixada Fluminense in Rio’s violent northern outskirts killed 29 people.”This is one of the largest death tolls in a police operation in Rio, surpassing 19 at Complexo do Alemao slum in 2007, except we did not lose one of ours then,” police chief Ronaldo Oliveira told Reuters.Human Rights Watch (HRW) said that Rio de Janeiro prosecutors have a constitutional obligation to oversee the police and pursue criminal investigations of police abuses. It called for a thorough and independent investigation into the deaths.According to HRW, Rio police killed 453 people and at least four police officers died in police actions during the first three months of the year, despite a Supreme Court ruling prohibiting operations in communities during the COVID-19 pandemic except in “absolutely exceptional cases.”Police said in addition to drug trafficking, the gang robbed trucks of cargo and held up commuter trains to steal from passengers.Police displayed an arsenal of seized weapons at a news conference: six assault rifles, 15 handguns, a machine gun, 14 grenades and a round of artillery ammunition.(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)







Read All

Categories
Genel

25 killed in Rio de Janeiro shoot-out as Brazilian police clash with drug cartel in favela (VIDEOS) — RT World News From “RT World News”



A massive police operation in Rio de Janeiro’s Jacarezinho slums resulted in the death of two dozen suspected criminals, one officer, and several injured police and civilians – including subway passengers caught in the crossfire.

More than 200 Brazilian police officers raided the third-largest favela in Rio, home to over 60,000 residents, on Thursday morning. Local media reported heavy gunfire and explosions in Jacarezinho, and spoke of rifle-armed militants jumping across roofs to escape the police.Multiple Brazilian social media users described the confrontation as “war.”One of the casualties was police inspector Andre Leonardo de Mello Frias, the civil police of Rio de Janeiro confirmed. There were 24 other fatalities in the raid, but their identities have not been released at this time.At least five people were injured – two police officers, a resident hit by a stray bullet inside their home, and two subway passengers who were on board the Line 2 car headed for Triagem station at the time of the gunfight. Dramatic video from the subway shows passengers cowering in fear after the bullets struck the car. Another, taken at the station afterward, shows a man tending to a head wound.Police were targeting Comando Vermelho (Red Command), a criminal organization suspected of drug and weapons trafficking. According to the newspaper O Globo, Thursday’s raid followed court-authorized surveillance that identified 21 criminals who were using force to keep parts of the slum under their control. The organization had hundreds of “soldiers” armed with rifles, pistols and hand grenades and wearing body armor, police said.Jacarezinho’s narrow alleys, barricaded by the criminals, made the use of armored vehicles impossible, O Globo reported. Police used helicopters instead. Three Covid-19 vaccination posts, including a family clinic, were temporarily closed due to the raid. 

Also on rt.com
Covid-19 mortality rate has DOUBLED among young people in Brazil, Pan-American health watchdog warns

Thursday’s raid was the first major operation against organized crime since last June, when the Brazilian Supreme Court said such raids should be halted during the Covid-19 pandemic save in “absolutely exceptional cases.”It was the deadliest police raid since 2016, when the digital platform Fogo Cruzado (crossfire) began tracking armed violence in Brazil. “Unfortunately, the war scenario imposed by these gangs demonstrates the importance of operations so that criminal organizations do not get stronger,” the police said in a Facebook post.Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!







Read All

Categories
Genel

Italian-German Europol operation detains 31 mafia suspects over drug trafficking and money laundering — RT World News From “RT World News”



Europol has announced the arrests in an international operation with German and Italian authorities, as officers targeted members of the ’Ndrangheta mafia group over allegations of drug trafficking and money laundering.

In a statement on its website, Europol, the European Union’s law enforcement agency, revealed the operation involving 800 police officers and tax officials had led to the arrest of 31 suspects, and identified 65 more who are believed to be part of the ’Ndrangheta mafia.The operation was run on the ground by Italy’s Anti-Mafia Investigation Directorate (DIA), alongside the Public Prosecutor of Turin and the National Antimafia Bureau, who joined forces with Germany’s Criminal Police of Friedrichshafen, the Economic and Financial Police of Ulm and the Public Prosecutor’s Office of Konstanz.The organized crime group (OCG) is alleged to have engaged in international drug trafficking using encrypted messaging tools to move cocaine around Europe, as well as money laundering offenses and tax avoidance.The criminals are accused of having established a series of companies in the building and hospitality sectors to launder their ill-gotten gains, with several hundreds of thousands of euros seized in the police operation, alongside weaponry, luxury goods and drugs.

Also on rt.com
Europol detains 10 hackers over $100 million cryptocurrency theft from celebrities

This is the second significant operation conducted by Europol against the ’Ndrangheta mafia, with a previous raid in December 2018 detaining 84 suspects on similar charges in Belgium, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.Europol’s headquarters previously established a coordination center, as part of the Italian DIA Project ONNET, to address organized crime groups across the continent.Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!







Read All

Categories
Genel

French police investigating Paris firework incidents after vigilantes reportedly target drug users (VIDEOS) — RT World News From “RT World News”



Police in Paris have launched an investigation to identify people who let off fireworks over the weekend in what was reported to be an attack on drug users and dealers by local vigilantes.

Multiple fireworks were let off in the Stalingrad area of the city’s 19th arrondissement on Friday and Saturday nights.Videos filmed from balconies on both sides of Avenue de Flandre and shared online purportedly captured several fireworks being launched towards a group of people gathered outside an office building.On Tuesday, the Paris police department said in a statement that the area has been secured and an investigation was underway to identify those responsible.According to French news outlet BFM, the incidents were carried out by locals who were frustrated with the presence of people consuming crack cocaine in their neighborhood.Mayor François Dagnaud told the broadcaster on Tuesday that the attacks were “dangerous and unacceptable.”

Also on rt.com
WATCH fireworks set off in Paris suburb amid ‘violent attack’ targeting police station

He said that many locally disapproved of the use of fireworks – even those who were worried about the drug situation.In a tweet on Saturday, Dagnaud also said the only way to regain control of the situation was to dismantle the 19th arrondissement’s “national crack sanctuary.”Stalingrad, which comprises an area reportedly dubbed ‘Crack Hill’, has long had a reputation as a destination for Paris’ hard drug users and dealers.According to Dagnaud, people from all over France and even Europe visit the area to procure crack cocaine.Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!







Read All

Categories
Genel

Mexico worries about scorn if another drug lord is released From “World”




Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is worried that yet another shadowy release of a drug lord is about to make Mexico a target of international ridicule







Read All

Categories
Genel

Pfizer Chief Albert Bourla Says Oral Drug To Stop Covid Could Be Ready Next Year: Report From “NDTV News – World-news”



We are now progressing the studies and we will have more news around summer, the CEO said..New York: Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla has said that an oral drug for treating coronavirus could be ready next year, adding that the company is working on two antivirals, an oral and an injectable.”We are actually on two, one is injectable and the other one an oral (antiviral)… Particularly the attention is on the oral for the world and of us because provides several advantages and one of them is that you don’t need to go to the hospital to get the treatment of which is the case with all the injectables so far but you can get it home,” Albert Bourla told CNBC in an interview on Tuesday, as cited by The Hill.”If all goes well, and we implement the same speed that we are, and if regulators do the same, and they are, I hope that by the end of the year,” Albert Bourla added.The only antiviral currently approved for use against the coronavirus is remdesivir, which is manufactured by Gilead Sciences. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave the drug full approval in October after it was granted emergency use authorization in May last year.He also said the medication could be “way more effective against the multiple variants” of the virus than current options adding that the mechanism of action, of the antiviral, is not expected to be subject to mutations, “particularly because it’s not acting on the spike, as we all know, all the mutations that we are hearing right now are seeing this in the proteins of the spike.””This one doesn’t work there so that allows us to believe that will be way more effective against the multiple variants. So, all good news. We are now progressing the studies and we will have more news around summer,” the CEO added.The Hill further reported that thus far, more than 121 million doses of the vaccine have been administered across the United States.







Read All